Culture survey

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Sat Jul 16 09:48:05 PDT 2005

As William suggests, being asked to do "an exercise in culture change"
can be both exciting and treacherous.  Is this really a change of the
whole culture, or does it refer to changing the culture within a portion
of a larger organization or system?   The former can be a big job, but
the latter can be a trap waiting to be sprung.

My sense is that "culture surveys" are based on sets of values, beliefs,
assumptions and, maybe, data from research also based on sets of values,
beliefs and assumptions.   Some consultants have in mind what they think
of as an "ideal" culture which they try to help organizations adopt.
Others are more inclined to engage the client determining what they hope
for.  OST can be one valuable step in this process.

When someone tells me they want to do culture change I ask them to tell
me a story about what makes them think this is something they should
do.  As  they tell the story they are likely to reveal (explicitly or
implicitly) what their impressions are about the values, beliefs,
assumptions and data that define the current culture and what they
imagine a better culture might look like.  This allows me to get a feel
for whether or not they really want to engage in culture change or
lesser changes - which may be fine.  It also helps me determine if there
is a reasonable "fit" between be and the client before we proceed.
Assuming we decide to work together it also helps me choose from a
survey that may already have been developed be someone else and seems
aligned with the situation or to design one that fits the situation.

In addition to William's suggestions for sources, there is always the
"oldies but goodies" resource: the University Associates Annual
Facilitator Guides.  Some of their instruments seem as useful and
relevant today as they were when created many years ago.  Alternatively,
they give me ideas for how do design a survey that fits the current
situation.

Shalom,

Chris Kloth