London calling

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Tue Jul 12 18:43:42 PDT 2005

Steve Gawron wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I am disappointed at the politicization of this Open Space group.
> Perhaps I can give a perspective that is more objective.

Two thoughts...

1.

I sometimes think that we like to believe that when we have embraced
Open Space Technology (or future search or appreciative inquiry or...)
and the deeper values, beliefs and principles that go along with it
(them) that somehow we are above having specific issues that "hook" us
the way others get hooked or above discovering that there are people or
groups about whom, despite our highest aspirations and intentions, we
experience "-isms" and reactions to them.

Like many (most) of you I have spent quite a bit of my work and personal
life focused on issues related to marginalized groups and I still find
myself in situations when, to my surprise and disappointment, I find I
still have another layer of my own shit I need to take responsibility
for, learn more about...  I also find myself outraged by certain
situations and find it harder to engage, listen, speak in  the spirit of
dialogue.

I wonder if some of what was called "politicization" is really some of
us running into our own -isms or having our buttons pushed.  I have
noticed some comments posted that seem to ask in the spirit of curiosity
and answer in the spirit of building understanding.  Others seem rooted
in fear, defensiveness, anger, judgment and misunderstanding.  I guess
that makes us a diverse community like other diverse communities.

I appreciate the diversity of that community.  I hope others appreciate
my limits as a human being and help me learn from it.  I hope I can do
the same for others.

2.

I am not sure I am interested in an objective perspective.  I am not
even sure objectivity is possible.  Especially in the face of matters
that have the deep impact individually and collectively of the London
Calling thread.   Fairness may be possible.  One of the images I like
best from the dialogue section of the Fifth Discipline Fieldbook is the
"Ladder of Inference."  It helps us understand and take ownership of the
filters (values, beliefs, principles, experiences, etc.) that affect how
we perceive and make meaning of anything we experience and appreciate
how others make different meanings.

One of the things I respect about the European press is that newspapers
own their biases.  I read a periodical in the US that takes a news item
and selects stories written by a so-called liberal, conservative and
centrist newspapers from Europe and puts the stories next to one
another.  I get to draw my own conclusions.

I think my best Open Space experiences were not driven by objective
perspectives but by respectful listening to diverse perspectives that
lead to learning and new ideas.  One of the essential principles of
dialogue is to suspend assumptions and certainties...holding them out
for others to see...owning where we got them and being willing to listen
to how others have come to different conclusions.

I look forward to continuing to "hear" all the perspectives and having
us explore and learn.  At this point I don't feel a need to come to any
common understanding of whatever "it" is that we are exploring.   I need
some time, perspective, context...

Chris  Kloth