London calling

Patricia Haines levelgreen at kaxy.com
Wed Jul 13 08:33:11 PDT 2005

for CPARN: this Open Space listserv is wroth knowing about - see below.

for OS folks:
I am new to the Open Space listserv, but just the one day has brought me much to think about and I
thank you all.

I also thank Steve Cochran of the U.S. Partnership for the Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development for introducing me to Open Space in the first place.

Because Chris' comments below resonate with key conversations within the Participatory Action
Research community, I'm passing this message along to the Cornell Participatory Action Research
Network.  CPARN and its website - PARNet - is a key voice in the global PAR conversation, and I will
encourage my colleagues to subscribe to your listserv.

My own work is closer to Participatory Action PLANNING than 'research' per se - but what I like
about PAR is that - like Open Space - it is an approach to generating knowledge and understanding
collectively. It is grounded in commitment to surfacing voices that are usually ignored; validating
results by how they work in action, rather than through abstractions and theory; and putting
scholarship in service to social, economic and environmental justice through campus/community
reflection/action collaborations.

"Participation" has come to be one of those buzz words that even the World Bank has come to honor,
at least in theory - but the 'real' PAR community is made up of passionate, committed folks who put
their academic (in my case, scholar/activist) lives on the line for a world that can work for
everyone.

Patricia Haines
Co-Chair, Adult & Community Learning, U.S. Partnership for the Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development
Director, Level Green Institute, Ithaca, NY
(on leave from PhD program in Adult Education, Cornell University - because PAR dissertations don't
follow academic timelines!)