London calling

Esther Ewing EwingChange at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 19:33:03 PDT 2005

Steve:
Many people responded to the posting that a member was missing. Perhaps you
didn't get those postings? I saw several. I didn't respond because I don't
know  this person but many others did.

As to politicization of this group, it didn't upset me. I feel  that these
are important issues to discuss and open space is as good a place as  any.
Indeed, to discuss these things means to me that our space is  open.

Regards
Esther

Hello All,

I am disappointed at the  politicization of this Open Space group.   Perhaps
I can give a perspective that is more objective.
Several years ago, long before  9/11, I worked with a gentleman, Vijay, whose
family live in an area of India  where both Hindi and Muslim lived.   Over
lunch, he confided in me that he needed to return to his home  village, because
his mother was dying.   He needed to take his two young sons with him to meet
his mother before  she passed.  His concern was that  extremists on both sides
in his region would place soccer balls with  explosives in the street in each
other’s neighborhood.  His concern was that one of his sons  would see such a
ball, kick it, and meet his demise.  You see he left his home and family in
India as a young man to escape such senseless acts of terror.
I asked him how he would  explain the danger to his young children.  He told
me this story.  As a young man he discovered a cobra  in his mother’s garden,
he immediately destroyed the snake with a garden  hoe.  I asked him why he did
 that.  He said in his culture, it  was an obligation to destroy the danger,
not only for his family, but all  persons in his village.  I asked  him why he
did not try to capture the cobra and move it outside of the  village.  This
was his reply:  One does not try to make friends with  a beast that would
destroy you if it can.  Not only do you place your own life in  danger, but all the
people you know.
As I understand the terror  situation, the extremists feel that the western
culture is threatening their  society.  In the West, we have  become decadent
and uncaring about their culture.  In their view, we are forcing our  culture
upon them.  Their goal is  to disable our economic infrastructure through fear
and terror.
Recently, a member of our group  posted that one of our cohorts was among the
missing in London.  This was the only posting and no one  responded to the
post.  The  members continued to debate politics in terms of philosophy.  One
post even said all lives are  important, what about our missing member?
All cultures have their own  monsters.  Do we try to destroy  the beast with
words?  OR, should  we listen and be sensitive in an Open Space where ideas
are shared without  prejudice and spite?
I will leave my soap box now  and go back to listening.
Steve