Halifax: Advice for new international travelers

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 23:30:32 PDT 2005

Probably a good idea to keep prescriptions in their original bottles, and to
carry a copy of the prescription, especially if missed doses would cause big
problems, or if the drug is a controlled substance.

I've made a number of overseas trips, packing a couple of prescriptions and a
LOT of nutritional supplements recommended by a naturopath for various
purposes.   For a monthlong trip to Siberia, I packed everything in original
containers, as recommended.   But no customs officials have ever shown the slightest
interest in my pills, in Russia or anywhere else.   So I usually count them
into packets at home and leave most of the bottles behind.

As with any other item in your luggage, it can be examined and you could be
questioned about it, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue.   I've only had
difficulties with a tiny pocket knife that I forgot to take out of my purse.

Most of the airlines recommend carrying medications (and jewelry) in your
carry-on.   The trouble and expense of trying to replace things in a strange
place is a nuisance.   My carryon also has basic toiletries and one set of clean
underwear--which have been very welcome on a couple of occasions when my bags
ended up in a different place than I did.

Joelle