Halifax: Advice for new international travelers

Kate Armstrong 4pangaea at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 11 21:07:33 PDT 2005

Doug,

I would also like to offer a suggestion from my international traveling
(nowhere recently but I believe it holds true). If you are getting
traveler's checks (usually strongly recommended), get them in $20
denominations (rather than $50/$100). They are a pain to sign in one
go, but they are also accepted far more widely, and I believe you have
less chance of being charged exorbitant exchange rates. Small
shopkeepers justifiably are not happy when a traveler wants to make a
small purchase, and get "change" for a large bill. There are days when
just a few transactions like that cancels out the shopkeeper's cash
reserves.

Be sure if you do get traveler's checks to keep a list of the numbers
separate and, as Jennifer suggested, a copy of the numbers "back home."
This is the most reliable and quickest way to get traveler's checks
replaced if there is a problem.

OTOH, maybe credit cards have made traveler's checks obsolete. I'm
still thinking at least some cash is good.  ;-)

The one suggestion I would, by my own experience, disagree with
Jennifer is regarding prescription drugs. By all means keep them in
their orginal containers! Carry a spare set of prescriptions
separately. This is also true for eye glasses prescription.Your wife
must keep her medications close by in her carryon luggage. If she and
her checked luggage do not arrive in the same place at the same time,
it is not the huge worry (and vacation spoiler) it might otherwise be.
The separation happened once with medication for my mother, who takes
several daily essential medications. I also was parted once from my
passport (stolen in Italy), and that was "fun" - not!

Have a grand time in Halifax. I'll be with you in spirit!

Cheers,
Kate

"The best way to predict the future is to create it now, together."