Halifax: Advice for new international travelers

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 04:02:03 PDT 2005

Doug -- you certainly got the Cooke's Tour of travel precautions. Doubtless all are correct and useful. Personally, I always carry my passport -- even here in the US of A. Great identification. But most of all just relax and enjoy. To be sure, Canada is a foreign country for us folks living south of the border, and it is different as you will discover and our Canadian friends will point out -- but in terms of health needs, general amenities, and normal practicalities (ATMs for example) it is the same or better as here in the US. And sitting here in Maine we think of the Canadian Maritimes as close kin and cousins. Many of our boats are built in Nova Scotia (of course we think ours are better :-)) -- and if you won't tell a soul, the dreadful secret is that most lobsters that you are likely to eat come from Canadian waters. And just to make it real confusing, Halifax is just about due East (not north) of here. But the most important thing, I guess, is to remember that you will be among friends at OSONOS. And friends take care of friends. Last year in Goa (India) I had need of a broad spectum antibiotic. It was in my hands and down my throat in less time and with infinitely less cost than would have been the case at home.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854