London calling--long reply

Filiz Telek filiztelek at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 08:24:57 PDT 2005

I currently live in south of Nova Scotia, in a rural environment surrounded by forests and lakes, at a place called the Shire, a learning center...the day of the attacks, we were hosting a group of people from all over the world, for an open space gathering...As the day progressed, part of me was busy with the news from London, yet another terrorist attack
not only because I have close friends living in London but also what this meant to us, as part of this globe and I remain with the questions,
‘what kind of injustice in the world ignite people to do such violence to fellow human beings’
rather than 'why are these bloodthirst monsters attacking 'us' ' (who is this 'us' for god's sake?)
and ‘what is my responsibility, directly or indirectly, to prevent these happening’ rather than blaming bush or tony blair (whose wisdom I deeply question by the way)

I know deep inside that the work we are committed to, as to open spaces for people to come and be together, to grow as a compassionate beings and to help create spaces where human goodness can manifest, has something to do with all of this madness. However desperate and afar the situation might seem, I feel, everyone has a role in healing part of the whole, starting with ourselves

I feel that the problem goes on and on as long as we stick to 'duality', as long as we disattach ourselves from the 'whole' picture and look outside of ourselves for answers. let's stop for one second and ask ourselves honestly, how our actions or non-actions contribute to the world out there?

filiz

p.s. I would really appreciate if we keep the sarcasm out of our messages. I think we are here for a dialogue rather than proving each other how 'right' we are. thanks!

Jon Harvey <only.connect at virgin.net> wrote:
Paul

Thank you for your comments and support.

I think the core problem is that certain groups of people (and Moslems are by no means alone in this) regard other groups as being of less value. To my mind a person dying in Fallujah, London, New York, Jerusalem or the West Bank - are all of equal value - no life is worth more than any other. I look forward to a time when the women and men of religion throughout the world, of all religions, unaninmously condemn all acts of violence - be they acts that kill people, maim or mutilate people, impoverish people or push people to despair - instead of (as many of them do) excusing acts of such violence in names of 'war', 'the market' or distorted ideas of 'freedom' (which are often code for 'my freedom to have licence over your life..')

All violence is wrong. Any religion which actively or tacitly supports such violence is not a religion I can support. In this sense it is not a Moslem problem - it is a World problem, I believe.

Peace be with you

Jon