Thoughts from Central London

Seamus McInerney shay71259 at eircom.net
Mon Jul 11 06:44:00 PDT 2005

Dear Amanda,
I am trying to offer hope, at least that is my intention but I feel you do
yourself a disservice in taking solace in "that British stiff upper lip".
The phrase always seemed to me to be more about avoidance tinged with a
touch of arrogance (bear with me, please). I don't believe it's that. It
may have been that one time but not anymore. The reality is that your
emergency services have learned from the bitter experience of the past. You
have been here before. Not so long ago "terrorists" bombed London and other
British cities in the name of Ireland.

Thank God, the Irish people learned, as I believe those currently turning a
blind eye to extremism in the UK will learn, that it simply does not work.
In the beginning there was the kneejerk reaction and we had the abuse of
the legal and judicial system that followed. But lessons have been learned.
I see this in the British armies approach in Basra and Iraq in general. I
see it in the way the British police handle riots and security, always
offering rioters and protestors opportunities to walk away. Force is always
the last resort. I see it in the willingness to talk to the other side that
successive governments have shown down the years.

I see it also in the willingness to tackle the root causes of extremism.
Over the years the abuses of power and privilege that gave rise to the
civil rights movement in Northern Ireland have been dismantled. What
remains are the habits of a generation whose way of life is passing and
that gives rise to fear. It all takes time. And people will continue to die
and get hurt while time passes.

While the tragedy of last week was only a threat, communities could see
themselves as victims of an oppressive regime or state that did not
understand. Once the bombs go off and the random nature of the killing is
understood, everyone faces a choice. Am I a part of this community within
which I live or am I not? Where do the boundaries of my responsibility lie
in relation to my passion for my culture or religious faith?  Will I open
the space or close it? From the numbers of phone calls to police lines over
recent days, I suspect that many people have made their choice. It will
take time and more people may die but the end is assured. Just as violence
did not beat the British in the North, it will not on this occasion.
Unfortunately at times it does focus peoples minds and seems to produce
results but the results are produced by its rejection and not by its
action. Would that we would take notice sooner.

My hope is that a new generation, the Live8 generation, will get up off
their fat asses and vote. I really don't care what they vote for but vote
they must. Its ok to vote for extremism. It's amazing how politicians react
to protest votes for Raving Looney parties. When people disengage they
leave the space open for those who turn up, for those passionate to be
present and if that space if left to those who plant bombs than that is the
only thing that could have happened.

Maybe now is the right time for many communities in the UK to start
rejecting extremist action. Maybe more people will turn up to fill the
political space. Maybe the only thing that could happen as a result will
happen and maybe, just maybe it will soon be over.

There is nothing stiff about a thoughtful and measured response. It is
flexible and it is open to change, moment to moment. To choose to live life
to its fullest regardless of the threat is a good choice. It is ok to let
the upper lip quiver a little at the loss of loved ones and the fear of
further loss.

May your God keep you and bless you at this time.

Shay

At 20:44 10/07/2005, you wrote:

>It has been a really strange few days. I am so proud of my fellow citizens
>and that British stiff upper lip is in reality what this is about - just
>getting on with it and not making a fuss. The emergency services have been
>the best humanity could possibly expect: gracious, calm, sensitive, so
>courageous, aware and making much out of few resources. True open space in
>action.
>

>I live in an area with a high cosmopolitan population including a large
>number of Arabs and Jews. It is 3 minutes walking from the mosque in
>Regent s Park. There is a sense of quiet introspection and I sense in them
>sadness that they might be blamed for all this. My heart goes out to them.
>

>Very sad times and all the more reason to keep hope alive.
>

>Kind regards
>
>Amanda
>

>Amanda Bucklow
>
>Commercial Mediator

>OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
>subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
>oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about
>OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Séamus McInerney
50 Carrigdhoun, Waterpark, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~xroadsfac/