London calling--long reply

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 23:37:33 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/8/05 11:10:06 PM, chris.corrigan at gmail.com writes:

> I don't usually weigh in on stuff like this, and I'm sure others will tan
> your hide for it, but Paul, I have to stand in front of the rash
> generalizations you are making about "Muslims."

Sorry, Chris, I don't regard those as "rash generalizations", Friedman is
correct, NO high order Muslim from any Muslim nation has issued a fatwa on bin
Laden and his followers.   By that I mean someone of the stature that issued the
fatwa against Salman Rushdie for publishing a book they deemed defamed
Muhammad.   The Muslim Islamic cleric leader of Iran.

And, of course, you are correct.   There are millions of Muslims who abhor
what is happening.   They want peace, too.   They want a life of freedom,
economic security, etc., why else would they leave their repressive homelands to
come to the Western nations?   Friedman's point (and mine) is unless IMPORTANT
people of the leadership of Muslim nations start to speak out in loud,
consistent tones that such is not part of the Koran (Ch. 5, v. 32; ch. 17, v. 33
according to an Immam I heard on the news tonight) and their societies begin to
isolate and negate these people, we are in for a very bad time, indeed.

You may be enlightened, but I will predict that if this goes on, and gets
worse, large numbers of people will not be acting in an enlightened manner.   We
all know about the 'tipping point'.   It happens in societies, too.   It CAN
happen here. Imagine the reaction of even a very large minority to a WMD
incident in a major Western nation.   It won't be pretty.

Finally, there is much that can be done to avoid Huntington's Thesis, but it
takes a long time, a long time, and will take something along the line of
Martin Luther's 95 Theses within Islam before we will see a genuine rapproachment
between the globalizing West and the Islamic world.   I believe we need to see
the world as it is, not as we wish it was, and take steps accordingly.

Sincerely,

Paul Everett