Culture survey - "Walk around survey"

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Sun Jul 17 16:47:59 PDT 2005

For what it is worth, Esther, this additional information and Harrison's
comments on surveys remind me of another tool to share that my
colleagues and I have been calling the "walk-around-survey" for about 20
years.

Please indulge me the story so I can create some context.

Like many things, it grew out of a moment of momentary genius inspired
by panic.  I arrived at a conference to do a program where I was going
to do a presentation on a topic no one really figured would be
interesting to more than a narrow segment of the participants.  Since it
was a conference I had no way of knowing in advance who or how many
would be there or exactly what they were hoping for.  I developed a set
of Likert style questions intended to probe some of the common issues
and concerns related to the subject matter.  I intended to use it as
both a trainer's tool (get to know the participants' expectations) and a
conversation starter (like others who develop instruments, my values,
beliefs and model were embedded in the survey).

I ran off what I thought would be more than enough surveys to pass
out.   I also made flip chart copies of the survey pages so I could post
what I thought would be the quick & dirty start to the session.

A much larger number of people showed up for the session than any of us
anticipated.  Since I did not have enough surveys, still wanted the info
they were intended to produce, needed some time to figure out how I was
going to get through the session, and always carry a zillion extra
markers...I spread out the chart pads along the walls, passed out the
markers and asked that everyone in the room take a few minutes to fill
out the survey using markers.  The chaos of the situation and the need
to go to different chart pads and walls to complete the survey preserved
just enough privacy to feel reasonably comfortable the information would
serve its purpose.

As people were finishing and returning to their seats I was looking to
see if there was any sense I could make of the results, which were now
posted so everyone could see.  While I saw some patterns that fit some
of what I expected, I decided to ask the group what they saw.
Individuals identified one or two scales and share what it meant to
them.  I asked if other people had different views on what those scales
might mean.  When patterns of congruence or dissonance emerged from
multiple comments, and where there seemed to be energy behind those
interpretations, I simply asked what in their experience informed their
views.

What a session!  We never got to my outline.  However, in retrospect
(this was long before I had ever heard of OST or dialogue), participants
who cared took responsibility for speaking up and making their own
meanings.   I simply asked an occasional clarifying question or made a
process observation.  As I listened I heard them making some of the
points I would have made if we had gone to my outline.  I also heard
things that I never anticipated.  Mostly I heard energy.  As we wrapped
up I asked if anyone wanted to share what, if anything, useful they got
from the session.  The two or three "punch lines" I had in mind were
addressed, as was a lot more good stuff I never thought of.  The
enthusiasm and "grin-sheet" evaluations were very gratifying.

Over the years I have found that if I don't have much time to create a
container for dialogue, or we have yet to get to the stage where I can
introduce OST, I can get the "voices" of the whole system "on the wall"
so that everyone can see it, no one can say the researcher
misrepresented the data and get people involved in making meaning
instead of defending or attacking the consultants' or the boss' summary.

Chris Kloth