Deep power differentials in OST

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:45:58 PDT 2005

Hi all:

I was in conversation with some folks about Open Space yesterday and a
question was asked about how the process works in places where there are
deeply entrenched power dynamics. I'm thinking specifically of a multi-caste
event in India for example (that was the example from our conversation) or
in a mixed group in a place where women are traditionally spoken for.

I have certainly used the process in many places where there are a variety
of marginalization dynamics at play, be they economic, racial, age, cultural
and class, and never have I heard about people feeling like the
self-organizing part didn't include them too. I'm wondering if others
working in more rigid places than Canada, the US or New Zealand might have
had different experiences and if so, what did you do either before the event
or during?

Chris

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN