OSLIST Digest - 29 Jan 2005 to 30 Jan 2005 (#2005-28)

Pat Black patblack at paulbunyan.net
Mon Jan 31 07:48:33 PST 2005

I am new to the list and fairly new to the OS process, 4 years, and have
recently just acted as the facilitator in a small OS event. I am a working
and teaching artist and I have a belief regarding the art thread weaving
itself through thoughts here.  Art is the locus of synthesis for life
processes and transformations.  It is a process, both in the making and the
receiving that opens space between the visible and the invisible. It creates
permeability in boundaries which allow for renewed homeostatis, for
catalytic disruptions, and transformation.
Art is more than a song, play, dance,or painting.  Art is any manifestation
in which the creator is suspended in time and space, has let go of the
outcome but knows when it is complete. An artist knows that she is just a
channel for something that she does not control; nor understand its intent
in coming to be.  But she knows that the whole of creation will transformed
by this art event.  In more concrete terms I guess you can say that art is a
spherical act of trust.  Seems like all this is a good fit with open space.
Pat Black