A question about OS listserv

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Jan 9 14:18:06 PST 2005

Okay, here are my answers:

What has enabled the Open Space listserv to flourish?

*  I think the underlying ethic that informs Open Space itself -- generosity of spirit -- is a central reason the list flourishes.  There is a huge willingness to share, a courageousness to ask, a capacity to listen across differences that I consistently experience on this list.

*  The list operates in Open Space (no moderator, or all of us moderating on behalf of the whole), so it is completely congruent with the subject.

* It welcomes all generations -- the person who has just heard of OS, the people who were there at the beginning, and those of us in the middle.  And what's cool is we seem to have permission to show up just as we are: experts on our own experiences and beginners in our wonderings.  (As an aside, on another list that I won't mention by name, most of the very experienced practitioners have disappeared into their own space.  I think it is a huge loss for everyone.  The newcomers don't get the benefit of stories of great depth and the experienced folks don't get the benefit of being stimulated by emerging questions and a new generation of incredibly creative practitioners.)

* It works...as I recently said, you are my sounding board.  I'm able to do audacious work because it is grounded in learning from all of you.  Even if I haven't experienced something directly, I know through your stories that "xyz" is possible and am therefore more willing to take a leap when a client asks "is it possible to..."

*  It is a place where anyone can ask and anyone can answer.  All stories are welcome, we play, write poetry and come as close to dancing and singing as anything I can imagine in a text-only space.  I experience a huge amount of acceptance, a willingness to engage in productive ways on those occasions when there has been some sort of conflict.

In what ways has the listserv helped the Open Space community of practice to evolve?

I'm guessing that the practice of Open Space is broader, deeper, more sophisticated and more confident than it would be without the list.  I'd also say that more people understand OS as a philosophy and life practice because of the list.  We may well have more credibility because of all of the stories, articles and web sites with information about OS as a result of the list.

I really feel part of an international consulting firm!  If ever (actually, whenever...I know it is coming sometime soon) an international project requires OS practitioners from all over the world, we can form a team quickly and efficiently because of the relationships that we've created through the years.

I think that OSonOS, the Open Space Institutes (and other variants like Berlin's BOSCOP) the www.openspaceworld.org web site, and the wiki -- www.openspaceworld.net have all contributed to the evolution of the practice but the immediacy of the list to questions of the moment makes it particularly valuable to learning in real time.

In what ways has it affected you and your own practice to evolve?

I know that I feel equipped to take on more ambitious projects because of what I have learned through the list.  I  know I've got backup and support that gives me confidence no matter what situation I run into with a client.  Even with a one-person consulting practice, I am not alone.  The list provides support and colleagueship enabling me to grow.  I get to stand on the shoulders of my friends and they can stand on mine.  We get to be acrobats in Open Space!

What wishes do you have for the list's future?

My first reaction to this question was that things stay just as they are!  On reflection, here are my wishes:

...that the foundation that inspires the list remains stable, meaning that it continues to be guided by the principles and practices of Open Space.

...that it continues to be a place for mutual support and connection, mentoring and being mentored, sharing stories and learning together.

...that it's form remain fluid, adapting as needs change.

...that it always be the "heart fire", a place to warm myself alongside old and new friends and fellow explorers and be a place to which I can send people who wish to learn more about Open Space.

...that it be a place of friendship across the world.

...and that it sparks unlikely partnerships for projects and other unexpected adventures from time to time.
  I was on the phone with Juanita Brown this morning (our first meeting).  No doubt many of you know of her; she is the creator of the World Cafe (http://www.theworldcafe.com/).  It was love at first conversation for me as I heard so much compatibility with why I love Open Space expressed in her stories about the World Cafe.

  Apparently, she has heard about the OS list from several colleagues (including the irresistible Alan Stewart).  She asked me what I thought makes it work (actually, she asked this much more beautifully but I'm saving her wording for you below).  I believe her interest derives from wishing to create a similar resource for the World Cafe community.  I suggested she pose her question to the list itself.  As I ponder my own response, her questions seemed perfect for the new year -- a moment to reflect on what makes this list such a gift, what it has meant to you as an individual and to us as a community.  Here are Juanita's questions, with a couple I've added inspired by her inquiry:

  What has enabled the Open Space listserv to flourish?

  In what ways has the listserv helped the Open Space community of practice to evolve?

  And I would add:
  In what ways has it affected you and your own practice to evolve?

  What wishes do you have for the list's future?

  I'll forward responses to Juanita every few days.  I've encouraged her to sign up and see for herself, so we may all soon have the pleasure of her company.  In any case, I look forward to learning, once again, from all who are attracted to this inquiry.

  From snowy Seattle,
  Peggy

  Peggy Holman
  The Open Circle Company
  15347 SE 49th Place
  Bellevue, WA  98006
  (425) 746-6274

  www.opencirclecompany.com

  Type the word Subscribe in the subject line of your message

  * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist