A question about OS listserv

Alan Stewart alan at creativestate.biz
Sun Jan 9 07:38:01 PST 2005

G'day Peggy, Juanita, Harrison and All

In the face of such charm :-) ...

I too had a lovely connection with Juanita right from the outset. This happened in 1997, shortly after a colleague
sent me a paper on The World Cafe (TWC) written by Juanita and Nancy Margulies.

Since then we have had wondrous online and f2f communicating, in my opinion, including great gatherings at both of their homes
whenever I was passing through San Francisco. Which has led to my having a depth of experience in using OST
and TWC singly and also in combination. A (now well known) report on the latter can be seen at: http://www.theworldcafe.com/storyconversing.html

I will respond to your invitation on just two issues for the moment. (This is mainly due to 'time pressure' as my wife Carmen and I are moving
to live in Hong Kong in a couple of weeks time; we are knee deep in cardboard boxes!).

And do so in the spirit of questioning by posing:

. Is the success of the OS listserv related it being a forum in which people can explore what is means to be treated with respect
and the contexts in which this happens?

Has there ever been such a forum in the whole of human history? Has respect ever been accorded naturally,
outside the confines of 'inner circles' such as family units and particular 'faith based' communities, to whoever comes?

Tom Atlee, who you may be aware of  http://www.co-intelligence.org , articulates very nicely the 'reason' why processes such as OST and TWC
are so critical to bringing out a spirit of 'We are in this together.'

"Co-intelligence, dialogue and democracy all flourish best among peers. It isn't a matter of everybody being equal in every way. It is a matter of everyone having comparable power to influence the outcome of their interactions and, most importantly, everyone giving each other respect.

This is, unfortunately, seldom the case. Most of us have deeply ingrained ways of not respecting each other -- sometimes without even knowing it. This is one of the main reasons that we need "processes" and "facilitators" to help us get good results from our meetings and conversations."

As those of us on the OSList would know, the according of respect occurs spontaneously and naturally when conditions for self organising are in place. And that this happens (at least for now) in the hands of skilled and experienced process facilitators working with sponsors who intuit the [potential] value in letting go.

. Has my practice been influenced by personal connectings made through the list?

Most definitely. I have experienced amazing (but not surprising <grin>) extending of friendship by people who have contributed to the list. This has happened online and also in the course of my remarkably privileged travels over the past few years. The warmth of hospitality by 'spacers' in diverse places has been astonishing. All of this has greatly influenced my feelings of being included in a wonderful community and also of responsibility to pass on learnings and stories.

Looking forward ... to seeing others' responses to Interesting questions! (And most delightful questioners)

Alan
Adelaide

.