2-hour Board Meetings

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Feb 28 13:00:55 PST 2005

Hi, Martin -

You wrote:
<The Board, chaired now by an "ENGO" that I do some work with, has asked
that I facilitate three consecutive 2-hour board meetings in Open
Space. Can you share with me some of your learnings doing such meetings?
Any
warnings?>

I have found it's useful to do a 3-hour Open Space (if that's all there
is available timewise) to highlight issues and bring people together for
a wee bit of talking around those issues - that's like an Opening Circle
/ Agenda setting, then 2   45-minute sessions, then a Closing Circle.

2 hours to me sounds like time only to raise issues but not work on them
much, and not much ability to cross-pollinate or shift thinking.
Sometimes only time for 1 session, so not a lot of movement possible
between thoughts and ideas and differences in thinking.  Okay so great
for raising issues but who's supposed to own and work on them.  I've
seen it done well, but for (for example) an executive team to ask a
membership organization what's important to them for the coming year
(the group in OS is not expected to work on or carry forward on anything
- it's more like a needs assessment).  So my question is why Open Space,
what are the deliverables, is this the right tool, can OS provide what
these meetings are being convened for, and so on.

Like Harrison, I say fight for more time....

You'll do great, of course...

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator