Training Programs

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Feb 21 07:34:58 PST 2005

Hi, folks and hi, Lucas --

Of course I love these conversations about how to 'train' OST, something
we all know how to do inside.

I love hosting an opportunity for people to share their learning in and
about Open Space.  I give 2.5 day 'learning workshops' - and I'd love to
give 4-day workshops but I find not a lot of folks in my region who are
able to come for 4 days.

So I made a big list of all the things people want to learn about OST,
then I removed from the list what they can learn from reading, and I
kept on the list what they seem to most often need or want to learn by
experiential methods or interchange with others.  And that left me with
the bits I cover in my workshop.

My 2.5 days is 18 hours - I suppose if I had to, Lucas, I could do it in
3-hour sections.  I ask everyone to read "Open Space Technology: A
User's Guide" before they come to class, and actual OS comes early in
the workshop, after which participants share their experiences,
reflections, observations.  Then there's all that stuff that people want
to know like 'what if' and 'when not to' and so on - and storytelling of
course of all the experiences we've shared on this list.

The whole thing is based on the fact that our learning did not begin
with this particular workshop, and it continues way beyond this
workshop.

Seems to me you could do a 3-hour OS (open, 2  45-minute sessions,
close) for the first evening, to ensure everyone has a common
understanding of what it is.  And you could in that OS identify what you
want to learn, and you could (as a learning group) use OSLIST for asking
questions that you need answers to in-between each class.  Remember, the
OSLIST is full of experienced folks, so you DO have 'experienced
trainers' in your training, if you incorporate the list as a 'live'
element of that training.

I'd love to hear from people who have taken trainings - what works for
you in a training?

Cheers,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t