Management in a World of Turtles

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 06:59:58 PST 2005

Luccas -- when you say that "solid time" stands in your way, I can certainly
understand. And if any one of us tried to do it all, the problem only gets
impossible. I think we all do what we can do -- but your efforts might be
expanded were you to spend some time helping others to open their own space.
In short do a training program. It doesn't have to be elaborate to be
effective. When Raffi wrote that he had the opportunity to do a program and
needed help, I responded that I KNOW he can do just fine and so can you. And
when it comes to help -- OSLIST, as you know, has all the helpers you can
handle.

But your major point about just opening space is right on! Every time space
is opened several thing happen. Work gets done, people are empowered, they
also can see clearly the difference between what they can do in Open Space
and what they feel able to do in the 9-5 setting. Pretty revolutionary! For
some, this perception of difference motivates them to make some basic
changes. Others find the difference a source of dispair. Still others just
feel the pain and dismiss it -- after all OS was only a weird situation. I
am truly sorry for the pain, but if it became accute enough, there might
actually be some movement. Should we then accentuate the pain to maximize
the gain? Possible thought, which may make many uncomfortable. But at the
very least it might be the responsible to help people to at least
acknowledge the pain and consider their options.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: