The Question

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 21:05:56 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/7/05 12:07:24 PM, fundaoral at ttnet.net.tr writes:

> Harrison, the article has been very helpful to clear many concepts.
> The thought that made me think most, that was striking for me, is the
> following ;
>
> The Search for Fitness is, of course, the touchstone of Darwinian
> evolutionary theory, although it is more usually rendered (incorrectly, I
> think) as the survival of the fittest.  The central point is that there is
> present a "desire" to function at a higher level, and therefore a search for
> a better way to fit in with the surrounding world.
> Those who fit better, survive better.

Harrison, et. al.,

Yes, and the above paragraph should be the core of a CEO/Leaders job
description.   Their task is to fit the organization to the emerging reality in which
they find themselves.   How they choose to do that, or not do it, determines
whether or not they survive.   They must be outward facing.   That then implies
something, that the CEO/Leader must be Janus-faced because s/he must also
face the organization (whether business, government, ngo, etc.) and discover what
needs to be changed to fit the outer reality better.   Quite a task, imho.

Without a persistent internal guerilla group, Microsoft would have missed the
importance of the internet.   Think what that might have meant.   Ditto 3M
and Post-It's.   Just a thought:   maybe the job of the CEO/Leader is to
encourage 'guerilla groups' all over the place because they might point to what has
to be changed to fit the emerging reality more quickly than any steering
committee.   Wild.   Well, somewhat radical, anyway.   :)

Paul Everett