The Question

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 03:30:32 PST 2005

Dave -- Thanks for the stories. I would love to have met your Dr. Randall.
Sounds pretty much like Bentley Glass and a number of other top scientists I
have known. And yes, the sad fate of research in Oz is pretty much
paralleled by a similar fate here in the US. Thirty years ago when I was at
our National Institutes of Health there was a marvelous Pulmonary
Physiologist by the name of Julius Camero (sp?). I think it is fair to say
that just about everything we have learned about the human lung came from
his lab. Anyhow Julius worshiped at the altar of serendipity. And he drove
the bureaucrats crazy -- because he just refused to be programmed. However,
the quality of his science was such that they really couldn't stand in his
way, especially when he adopted a most interesting strategy. He would apply
for a grant to prove what he already knew, and get enough money so he could
spend most of his time exploring what he didn't know. He always came in
right on time and within budget, and the green eyeshades never quite figured
it out. And then on the next grant cycle he applied for more money to
discover what he already knew -- and so on.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: