Is trust a part of open space?

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Tue Feb 1 12:32:55 PST 2005

I agree with Michael that you do not need to talk explicitly about
"trust" when opening the space -- in fact it may be counterproductive.
I never do.

I agree with Bea that Trust is Trust, in OS or not:

-The sponsor or client has to trust the facilitator to open a space that
relates to the focus/theme/directions she has established.  This is part
of the reason for good preparation and planning.

-When the sponsor/client makes their opening remarks, they need to
engender the trust of the participants that they will follow thru with
their commitments to what will happen during and after the OST event.
That's why I get them to state some of them explicitly -- like you have
freedom to act and the resources will be provided, or you have freedom
to make proposals and the decision will be made by such and such a time,
or you have freedom to do what ever you want but we have no resources to
support you.  Being straight with the folks gathered increases their
trust

-The facilitator builds trust in the process by the way they open space
-- through their confidence, words and spirit.  I believe this affects
how quickly people put up topics and how much energy emerges at the
beginning. (However, if there is lack of trust in the sponsor it will
show anyway.)

--The facilitator shows trust by not intervening once the space is open,
by taking that nap or fiddling with the reporting system.  Every time
someone asks for an intervention and the facilitator says -- in OST I
trust you to figure out how to do it.

Some Thoughts to add

Larry

Larry Peterson