OST with less than 25 words

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Dec 20 10:38:18 PST 2005

A few years ago I Googled "Open Space Technology is" and came up with these
29 snappy definitions...I suppose now I'll have to revise that list...

*29 snappy definitions of Open Space Technology*

 Open Space is:

   1.

   one way to enable all kinds of people,in any kind of organization, to
   create inspired meetings and events.

    2.

   a simple, powerful way to catalyze effecitve working conversations and
   truly inviting organizations -- to thrive in times of swirling change.

    3.

   an effective and productive way of conducting meetings with stunning
   results.

    4.

   a delightful, useful tool for any group of people who are really
   interested in exploring something that they all care deeply about.

    5.

   the most powerful leadership and meeting approach for the 21st
   century.

    6.

   a simple approach to the accomplishment of complex tasks.

    7.

   a meeting methodology that helps individuals, groups and communities
   become more effective in environments that are rapidly and constantly
   changing.

    8.

   a methodological tool that enables self-organizing groups of all sizes
   to deal with hugely complex issues in a very short period of time.

    9.

   an effective, economical, fast, and easily repeatable strategy for
   organizing meetings of between 5 and 1,000 participants.

    10.

   innovative group facilitation methodology suitable for large groups.

    11.

   at the very least, a new way to hold better meetings.

    12.

   is a facilitation method that is gaining a reputation in the business
   world as well as the Not-for-Profit sector as an effective, economical, fast
   and easy way to organize meetings of any size.

    13.

   a conference design that is characterized by what is absent: there is
   no predetermined agenda, there are no months of preparations and preparatory
   committees, and there is no blow-by-blow meeting schedule.

    14.

   a highly democratic and self-managing meeting methodology.

    15.

   the process of choice when confronted with new and complex issues
   requiring systemic solutions.

    16.

   a fast, cheap, and simple way to better, more productive meetings.

    17.

   rapidly becoming known as a powerful group process that supports
   positive transformation in organizations, increases productivity, inspires
   creative solutions, improves communication and enhances collaboration.

    18.

   a powerful approach for engaging people.

    19.

   used by Hanna & Associates to facilitate meetings, community forums,
   and communicating with the moral ownership of a nonprofit organization.

    20.

   an effective, powerful, precise, and results-oriented approach to
   managing meetings.

    21.

   ideal when you are working with a diverse group of people, dealing
   with complex or conflicting situations/issues, need innovative and
   productive answers, and the answers are unclear.

    22.

   a structured dialogue that enables all kinds of people to create
   inspired meetings and events.

    23.

   a framework that enables participants in meetings and conferences to
   create their own programme of workshops, presentations and discussion groups
   around a central theme.

    24.

   a way of facilitation where original concepts from African meeting
   traditions, such as circles, rhythm of breath, a bulletin board, a village
   marketplace and 'talking stick ceremonies', have been adapted to an
   innovative, widely accepted and productive manner of working with groups and
   teams in training and meetings.

    25.

   centred around self-organising and self-managing groups of people that
   within a minimal methodological framework of procedures develop their own
   way of working, building on the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes that
   already exist within the group.

    26.

   the most effective process we have found for organizations, and
   communities to identify critical issues, voice to their passions and
   concerns, learn from each other, and, when appropriate, take collective
   responsibility for finding solutions.

   1.

   an innovative organizing tool designed to
   draw forth the potential residing in all members of a group.

   1.

   an effective, economical, fast, and easily repeatable
   strategy for organizing meetings of between 5 and 1,000 participants

   1.

   a working mode/ workshop of focusing the energy of large groups (up to
   1000) on one "big issue" by self-creation and self-organization of dozens of
   mini-workshops around the major task/ issue.

Cheers,

chris

On 12/20/05, Erich Kolenaty <erich.kolenaty at utanet.at> wrote:

> [...]
> it will be hard to fit back into the shape of those other meetings
>
> if you've tried open space you know that meetings can be productive,
> creative, energizing and worth your time.
>
> why sit and listen in conferences when you can tap into the knowledge
> and wisdom of everybody there and feel engaged the whole time?
>
> it's time to have meetings and conferences where work gets done
> creatively, emergent issues are named, resources are shared and the work
> really matters.
>
> a co-created agenda, conversations that matter, work that uses the
> energy and wisdom of each individual: a celebration of what people can
> do – together
>
> People self-organize according to their interests, co-create solutions
> and appreciate across differences -- taking care of themselves and each
> other and getting great things done.(all Lisa Heft)
>

> OS adds nothing but simply uncovers what is present.
> It is a new, deeper awareness of what we already are: naturally occuring
> self-organizing systems (Harrison Owen)
>
> Open Space Technology ...is a simple way to run productive meetings, with
> five to 2000+
> people, and a powerful way to lead any kind of organization, in
> everyday practice and ongoing change. (Michael Herman)
>
> Open space ... the serendipitous intersection of unleashed minds, hearts,
> eyes, ears, hands, and feet.(Jack Ricchiuto)
>
> Open space is a lot like tofu, which can be used in countless ways
> because it readily absorbs the flavors and spices of anything. (Tree
> Fitzpatrick)
>
> Onion Skin Technology...peel back the layers and it makes you cry...but
> cook it up and it gets sweet and juicy. (Chris Corrigan)
>
> Open Space combines the rigor of a great board meeting with the energy of
> conversation around a coffee pot. (John Rapp)
>
> Open Space enables groups of any size to organize themselves to deal with
> complex, important issues and accomplish something meaningful by inviting
> people to take repsonsibility for what they love. (Peggy Holman)
>
> Do you yearn to be in conversations about questions that matter where you
> feel alive, inspired, connected, surprised, engaged, empowered, responsible
> and open to possibility. Well, that's what happens in open space. (Alan
> Steward)
>
> If it's markets, it's markets, if it's activists I talk about getting
> people to work on stuff that really matters.  If it's business people it's
> "creating and immediately implementing high performance work teams."  If
> it's religious people it's "harnessing the power of Spirit to bring
> meaningful work to our community."  If it's community building we're all
> about "discerning what's most important and taking responsibility for
> it."(Chris Corrigan)
>
> Open Space Technology is a surprisingly simple high performance system,
> binding passion with responsibility.. (Mikk Sarv & Eric Lilius)

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com