SV: What Have we Learned (update)

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Wed Dec 14 13:40:19 PST 2005

Dear Harrison, dear friends in Open Space, dear birthday-technology
I had the stick for a while now, I hope you didn?t fall to sleep...
So, the question for the closing circle (hmmf.. new beginnings...) was:
> reflect on the past 20 years (or at least that part of the 20 years in
which you participated in the OS community) - and
>offer up your understanding of what you, personally, have learned - about
Open Space, yourself in Open Space, about
>organizations in Open Space.

Hmmmm, actually never thought about that before, in 1985 I was in Open Space
the whole year - what a start! I was travelling around the globe(Asia,
Australia), just following the principles and the law (without ever having
heard about them), WOW never thought about that in quite that way before.
Then a quick jump to 1998 when I first heard about a meeting methodology
called Open Space Technology or Oppet Forum as my first teacher Ingrid
Olausson would say. I got hooked immediately! And now Open Space and ways of
working which are in line with the values of OST are my livelyhood and a big
part of my life and me. I am a trainer of the Genuine Contact program, and I
think I have most of the tools I need in order to do the work I love,
although there are many many lifetime homeworks to do!

So, what did I learn about Open Space? Well I learnt that I am always in
Open Space - that?s life! There are so many layers to Open Space...
Regarding the methodology I learnt all the details it takes to facilitate a
good meeting(hmm not all maybe but many). I learnt that, for me, the
pre-work and follow up are essential parts to make a difference. I have
recently started to also include an evaluation(4-6 months after the meeting)
in my proposals - and all sponsors have so far cheered and said yes, yes I
want that. I have learnt that many many times great things happen as a
result of an OS-meeting and nobody remembers where it came from - Open Space
was fun but nothing really happened - until they take a closer look! I also
learnt to take the stage when opening up the space - the ritual. I?ve also
learnt that there are as many ways to work with Open Space as there are
facilitators - it is very personal.

So, getting into the personal aspect, what did I learn about myself in Open
Space? Actually I think that I was attracted to OS partly because I had a
lot of OS in me already. Thinking about the journey I mentioned above, two
friends, my brother and myself bought each a one way ticket to Beijing,
China by train. We had agreed on that this was an individual project for
each of us so no one was tied to anyone else (the law). So whatever happened
was OK. I spent 1 year in Asia and 6 months in Australia on that journey.
Stayed wherever I wanted to stay as long as I chose. Met a beautiful girl in
Sydney(my wife Mia, Swede too!)- whatever happens - again! And when it was
over it was over. I learnt a lot about OS on that journey!!!

Having the privilege to work a lot with OS has of course deepened my
understanding about myself and my role in life. The four fold way has
journeyd with me for long too and I learnt a lot about these aspects through
working with OS.
I have come to understand that what I offer people is something very
special. People in our "developed" part of the world have (or rather take!)
so rarely the opportunity to act from what they really want to do. To meet
other people and talk/take action on things that really matter, on equal
terms is so rare. Especially in organizations.

Invitation, openness, equality, diversity, humbleness, fun, inspiration,
love, play, efficiency, focus - are just words that come to me right now
(sitting on the train from Norway).

So, Open Space in organizations... Although I know that many organizations I
have worked with have learnt a lot and changed some of their behaviors, this
is really something that I wish and intend! to work more with in the near
future. Anyway, it?s funny how the law and the butterflies and bumblebees
seem to stick around. I think these metaphores are so brilliant! Actually I
am involved in one organization where we have chosen OS as the operating
system. This is not paid work (NGO) but I am trying to work as much as I can
with it to gain experience - and for a good cause. I have also come to base
all of my own collaboration and my own projects on these values using the
tools that I use with my clients - that?s a good start too!

Well, that?s it for my little contribution in this closing - new beginnings
circle.
Cheers & thanks everyone for being an important part of my life
Thomas Herrmann