happy cycle ~ grief cycle upside down ?

Seamus McInerney shay71259 at eircom.net
Wed Dec 7 19:06:37 PST 2005

Dear Marei,
This evening I had a conversation with my 17 year old son. He was telling
me how sometimes he cannot believe how good his life is. Especially as so
many of his peers appear so troubled as teenagers. He feels he should be
able to give some of his good fortune away to those more needy. When I
suggested he may believe he does not deserve it in some way, that he is not
good enough to be given the life he has, he said no at first. But later...

It can often be hard to have experiences that are different from those
around you, even when those experiences are positive and good. We
instinctively want to share them just so that in sharing them they grow and
extend around us. Yet even the joyful discovery of new connections has
implications for us. Maybe we will change and others will not like what we
become. Maybe I have out grown my existing friends and relationships and
will soon be moving on. I am mindful of young people who emigrate to a new
country or go to the big city to study or get a job. They leave all that is
familiar behind but the excitement of the new world pushes them forward.

Enjoy the journey.
Shay