OS newbie here/Hybrid Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Dec 13 03:52:45 PST 2005

Kathleen wrote:

My inclination to create a hybrid is mostly because I don't know yet
how to create some of the typical components of a strategic plan using
OS, e.g., a shared vision for 3 - 5 years out, Underlying
Contradictions, Strategic Directions and an Implementation Calendar. I
have several, long-term clients who have received great value from the
ICA Participatory Strategic Planning (PSP) process that I've used with
them and am trying to figure out how to transition them to OS.

I've attached a sample document of one of typical plans as a frame of
reference. This approach guides a group's work and they update it on a
quarterly or 2 times per year basis to maintain its relevance. I'm
interested in figuring out a few different approaches for positioning
OS so that it creates a comfortable transition that speaks the
different kind of outputs. I also need to know how to facilitate it so
that the outputs serve as a strategic plan. Let me know if I've been
clear enough about this. I'm guessing that it can be done, I just don't
have enough experience with OS to figure it out quite yet.

Also, I've not read any of the other listserv responses so the answers
to my questions are hopefully in them.

Harrison Responded:

Doing a strategic plan in OS is actually quite simple. Start with the
question: What are the issues and opportunities for our business 5 years
out?" Then do two days in Open space with a final half day for convergence,
prioritization and "action planning." The details on how to do all this are
pretty well outlined in "The Book." When you get to the convergence part,
you could use the software that was developed some years ago or -- what most
people are doing now -- simply open the space again on the 3rd day for those
"issues/opportunities" that are really "hot" on people's mind. Chris
Corrigan on OSLIST is probably best on this subject, and probably has
something on his website.

I have done all this on a number of occasions and it works very well. The
only problem is that usually the distinction between planning and doing gets
blurred and in some cases disappears. All of which I take to be a positive
advantage.

Personally, I have a real problem with an annual or semi-annual review.
Looks nice on paper, but the world rarely works that war. Things happen when
they happen and have to be deal with then. That could be in 2 weeks or two
years. I also find it useful to remind folks that the Plan is not reality
(map is not the territory), and for sure it does not "create" the future. At
best it is sort of notes to ourselves to be considered on the journey.

Harrison

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!
hhowen at verizon.net
Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html