Reggio Emilia and Open Space with Children

Pat Black patblack at paulbunyan.net
Sun Aug 7 05:40:17 PDT 2005

Hi Kim,
You asked

>a) find out more about it - can anyone refer me to anything here (if and
>when I get time to read it) and
>b) post this question from a mum who feels like her experience of Open
>Space is far from home - How do we do it? (ie: with toddlers, 24hrs a day,
>at home?)

I reccomment the Hundred Languages of Children editor Carolyn Edwards as the one most all around book to get.  There is a brand new book the Atelier out that I also like very much. Reggio Emilia  is a city in north central Italy. The Reggio Emilia approach grew within a culture renowned, even in Italy, for its citizen responsibility and active participatory democracy. It was known for its resistance to facsism during World War II.  The first school was started six days after the end of the war and was built by parents and community members.  The philosophy for these schools developed during the 1950s.  These schools were born from the Italian progressive movement of that time.  They synthesized a unique approach to early childhood education, gathered together from progressive thinkers from around the world including, Piaget, Vygotsky,  Bruner, Dewey, Montessori, and Hawkins. It is built on a constructivist model of education  within the frame of self-organizing systems.  I think is is far more developed than most  constructivist programs I've seen because they include the environment as an element in the design as well as multiple teachers per classroom, an atelierista and a structure that intends to facilitate chance encounters and interactions outside the classroom.  Like most constructivist programs questions are the heart of the learning.  From what I have seen questioning of the teachers can be quite provocative.  So provocative in fact that if doen in the United States as in Reggio Emilia I believe the questions would feel combative to most American teachers.

In answer to your second question.  Find someone to clean your house and just enter into the world of play with your little ones.  They won't be there long and they are your only ticket in.  Enjoy as the world really changes once you turn five.
pat