Reggio Emilia and Open Space with Children

Kim Willing kim.willing at tassie.net.au
Sat Aug 6 18:44:12 PDT 2005

Hello everyone!

Well this is syncronicity.  Whilst attempting to overcome a bad cold and
take a desperately needed break from my 2 children (1 is 20 months and the
other just over 3 years old) I was lying (hiding) in bed reading Harrison's
book on peace and wondering how it is I could possibly adopt an Open Space
mentality in the care of my kids!  Preface this with the fact that I am
operating in my own facilitation business (mostly Open Space), aiming to
work an average of 2 days a month and spending the rest of the time being mum.

I am currently in the process of preparing myself to conduct another 2 Open
Space gatherings later in the month.  In this role I have found my
experience of Open Space and of myself to be calm, bold, completely
unflappable and grounded........ but then I come home to my mum role and it
seems the opposite is true!  I am very challenged here!  Thank goodness the
people sitting in the circle, can't see what was going on before I left
home!  (Something like changing roles from cruel autocrat to Buddhist monk
- I'm sure it's not quite this bad all the time but it is winter and I am
feeling a little run down!).  Somehow I seem to be running out of space at
home.  In the grand plan to have a regular break from kiddlies, my 2 attend
a creche in Hobart every Thursday.  I knew that they used a Reggio Emilia
approach there but didn't have a clue what it meant - only that I like (and
the kids like) they're experience there.  So, I am excited and relieved to
discover it has links with Open Space and would like to:

a) find out more about it - can anyone refer me to anything here (if and
when I get time to read it) and
b) post this question from a mum who feels like her experience of Open
Space is far from home - How do we do it? (ie: with toddlers, 24hrs a day,
at home?)

Love from Hobart town.

Kim.