Update from OSonOS Halifax

Andrew Rixon Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au
Thu Aug 4 18:22:16 PDT 2005

Dear All,

Great to see the update from OsOnOs, so many interesting topics covered, I wish I was there! :-)

One in particular resonated with some work which I have recently done:

Exploring the use of OST in applied research convened by Debra Rosser

Some background:

In October 2004 I started to pull together a list of potential participants in a delphi study exploring 'facilitation in natural resource management'. By June 14th 2005 I had completed this delphi process and had acquired HEAPS of great data and learning, as well as experiencing the effects of a delphi approach to build a kind of virtual community. Early on in the delphi study a participant suggested that it would be great for everyone to meet up.

Thinking more about this I felt it was not only an opportunity for other participants, but also one for me, as a researcher to really open up my research and explore and find out, really, what was going on in the 'experts' minds around this issue. Brian bainbridge was a great advisor for me and helped me to come up with a great theme of 'Ways to even better NRM facilitation' and facilitated the open space at the end of June.

It was a really great day, with great outcomes.

You mentioned: "And the chatting has always given me real insight into the research topic - often in tangents that I hadn't anticipated"

This resonates, one participant brought out the concept of silence in facilitation and its power. Something quite tangential and also something which has had quite an impact on me....

So, yup! Go for it! It can work really well!

Warm regards,

Andrew

--

Andrew Rixon B.Sc(hons) PhD

Urban Water Infrastructure

CSIRO- Manufacturing and Infrastructure Technology

http://www.cmit.csiro.au

P.O Box 56 (Graham Road), Highett, 3190, Victoria, Australia

Tel: +61 3 9252 6363

Fax:+ 61 3 9252 6249

Mobile: 0400 352 809

Email: Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au