Strugglelessness

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:50:57 PDT 2005

Hi all:

Here is another teaching about struggle, this one from Sto:lo Elder Herb
Joe, who lives not too far away from me. He shared this story in the context
of a meeting we were doing together in which we were working with a group
that was struggling with issues of transcending the "I-YOU" and trying to
become a "WE:"

Central to the Sto:lo creation story, in which all beings receive their
purpose, is the notion of struggle. In the story, the Creator makes the
earth and then creates all the creatures of the earth, including the winged
animals that fly, the four-leggeds that run on the land, the animals that
crawl across the earth and the animals that swim. Each of these animals were
created perfectly.

When all these animals were created, the Creator looked around and noticed
that something was missing. So humans were created. To do this, the Creator
took a little bit from each animal and rolled it up into what Herbcalled
"poor, weak, human beings." "The Halqemelum word he used for "humans"
implies this meaning. The reason we are poor and weak is that we can do lots
of things, but none of it well. We can fly a little, but we fall heavily to
earth. We can run, but not as fast as a deer or a cougar. We crawl, but
beetles and spiders can stick to the ceiling. And we swim, but nothing like
a salmon. In short, we struggle.

Herb finished the story by saying that it is our destiny to struggle because
by struggling we learn and that is what we are put on earth to do.

So I leave you with that.

Chris

.

--