Closed and open space

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Apr 27 10:07:52 PDT 2005

Jack -
You ask about what it means to 'open space' if all systems are self
organizing (and so . already open, no?).  And a parallel thought - does
that assume the space is closed before we open it.

You know that I often use body analogies.

You can do bodywork (chiropractic, acupuncture, massage) to help someone
who is hurting / damaged / healing.The body work sort of reminds the
body what to do well - it invigorates and gives energy to the body's own
systems and helps to create movement and reduce blockage.

You can also do ongoing bodywork when someone is just fine - in order to
help the body do it's own thing with all the abilities it has inside of
it - to KEEP the system /body fluid and energetic and flexible.

So our body, or our organization, is a self-organizing system.  Opening
Space is bodywork (and indeed, it enables breathing, and movement, and
bodies quite like it).

So whereas we can Open Space when something is hurting or shut down.we
can also Open Space as a way to help folks keep breathing and exchanging
information and energy and doing even better what they already do quite
well.  To help the body / organization remember what it knows how to do
best for wellness.

Mmmm.that makes me want to go get a massage..

Lisa
___________________________
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: