A little help -- Please

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Apr 25 14:41:39 PDT 2005

Hi, Harrison -

The CEO you are going to meet with wrote:
Basically I'm looking for techniques, methods, tools, and or simple ways to
create an open environment of trust within a growing organization.
My Dilemma: How to create a communication environment that's open, listens,
hears, understands, and is responsive?  I am looking for practical
executable methods to model these value behaviors within a for profit
business enterprise.

As you know, I worked with the San Francisco AIDS Foundation for some years.
So I am thinking of some of the things we did and some things I imagine we
might have done.

Maybe s/he can think of using a facilitator-type-person as - instead of an
interventionist - an in-house (can be part-time with 'office hours') sort of
a 'nutritionist' / 'body worker' for the organization to keep it well.  I
can think of a million things this person could do, from listening to people
and 'coaching' individually (management and front line), to offering,
facilitating and teaching processes for group work, to noting the
environment and how people communicate, to helping the organization
celebrate (and to mourn, as they are working with cancer and people they
know or individual employees themselves may have struggles).

How about holding department meetings every now and then with 2 departments
getting together (for no 'reason' - just to hear what's going on in each and
get to know and appreciate each other more).

How about staff socials where folks get to eat /bring foods of each others'
cultures?  And other in-house appreciation meetings that...maybe employees
can give to each other, to teach each other things (from their cultures,
crafts, reading circles, poetry 'slams' [readings], quilting lunches) -
whatever fits into the day where employees can bring their lunch (or be
provided with lunch by the company) and do things together that mixes and
matches and mixes them according to different non-work interests and
passions?

Maybe s/he can think of using someone whose skill is in writing
understandable info as a conduit for sharing information on the latest
science and breaking news, for both employees and the community.  Maybe that
person is also available to anyone in the company who would like help
writing more clearly, more carefully, more inclusively, whatever.

Maybe this organization hosts regular Open Space for full-staff meetings,
for Board and staff and volunteers all together, for community meetings.
Maybe s/he ensures that all staff get training in Open Space so they can
rotate facilitation duties.

It seems to me that it is also important to develop interview methods that
analyze which skills in an open position are teachable (so you don't have to
focus on those in an interview - just note whether someone has those skills
or will have to be taught them)...and then the qualities or skills in a
position that the interviewee absolutely has to have inside them...and
design a way to tease that out in the interview process (through role play,
use of graphics, writing or a combination of methods).  And having an
interview team with representatives from a cross-section of departments with
a diverse palate of individual cultural experience and from a cross-section
of the organization.

How about quarterly dreaming sessions (where employees imagine what could be
if there were no budget issues?) - there might be great ideas that came out
of this that could influence the workplace and the work.

I also think that really good supervision meetings are helpful - where all
supervisors have been trained in and supported in how often to hold
individual meetings, what to cover, how to collaborate with the employee on
building a 3 month plan based on the job description, the requirements of
the job and the employee's need for growth, in how to document each meeting
in a way that is supportive of both the individual employee and the
company's needs, and so on.

Okay I could go on and on, because it's fun to think of this.  But I'll
spare everyone and...stop.

I look forward to hearing what you add to this little list of ours as you
talk to your CEO - truly a wise person...for having found...YOU.

Take care,
Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator