Learning to expand our NOW

Tolga Yazar yazar_tolga at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 08:49:47 PDT 2005

Hi Masud,
<I am afraid, my first post to the list, and I am brand new to OS >

The questions that start with "Is/Isnt" are sometimes expressed as, or understood as "bogus questions" - where they are merely expressing a belief, rather than requiring for more explanation. For example:
"Isnt that obvious ??" may simply mean " I believe it is obvious" (sometimes they additionally mean : "I want you to believe it is obvious too....").
"Is that not highly judgmental" - may in that sense may read as: "I believe it is highly judgemental". and then there is no question to answer.

IMHO, a better question would be:
"I am finding your expression judgemental, and it seem to me to be an opinion expressed as a fact. Will you please explain more what you mean?"

Regards,
Tolga.

Masud Sheikh <masheikh at cogeco.ca> wrote:

Dear all,

In the interest of expanding my “NOW”, I request a favour/favor (being Canadian, I can use both spellings):

Yesterday, I had a conflict with Therese Fitzpatrick, when I posted the following note:

“>Funda, such an event would not be negative...it could be wonderful and life affirming.

> And it could unleash new, positive initiatives in the world.

Please forgive me for reacting, Therese.

"Would not be negative....." - Is that not highly judgmental, Therese – an opinion expressed as fact?

Masud”

Therese’s lack of response makes it evident that my “NOW” did not contain enough space for her to respond. For those of you who can have space for my views, as well as hers, can you please suggest an alternative way of posing my comment/question?

My best wishes

Masud

There is something called learning at a rather small level of organisation. At a much higher gestalt level, learning is called evolution – Gregory Bateson

* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

http://mail.yahoo.com