inner aggression and the OST facilitator

Filiz Telek FTelek at HFHI.org
Wed Apr 20 05:39:23 PDT 2005

Dear Raffi...

It's been really interesting to read your genuine insights and thought
process about inner aggression...thank you for that!

I am writing because your call to hold space for Armenian Genocide urged
me to share with you all my experience, as a Turkish person as well as a
world citizen.

I've been blessed with being able to travel and live abroad from an
early age which changed my life. It wasn't until my early 20s though
that I had heard about the Armenian Genocide. An Armenian friend of mine
had explained to me how today's eastern Turkey was Armenian land and
what happened in 1915. I remember the shock and how threatened I
felt...it was like a bad joke...but in reality it wasn't.

I am afraid I still don't know today the details of what happened during
that time. Not because I don't care, not because I am ignorant. I had a
much stronger experience than I could have by reading books about the
genocide. Due to my work, I traveled to Armenia last year to work with
the local Habitat organization there...to be honest, I was anxious, I
did not know what to expect. But it turned out to be one of the most
powerful experiences of my life. I have never been received by any group
of people with such warmth, and generosity and openness. Believe me, it
was beyond the typical Armenian hospitality. I had the feeling that
people embraced me even more because I was very much connected with
their history. I was simply there, working with them and being open, and
all it took was to acknowledge what happened in 1915. I was a silent
witness of the pain. I listened to stories, I visited the genocide
monument. I learned to be humble...there was no aggression, there was
just sadness. When I stood near the Turkish border and looked up at
Ararat, I wondered why this border had to divide these two people so
distinctly...that was the aggression in my mind, and as a counter image
I envision that border wide open and both people freely traveling some
day. The Armenian lady who hosted me and fed me so well during my time
there, told me the story of her father who was a genocide survivor. She
told me that he lost his whole family, yet he was saved by a Turkish
neighbor...his father didn't even speak Armenian when he finally made
his way to Yerevan, he just spoke Turkish...

I did not literally do open space in Armenia but I felt I met Armenian
people in open space, in a very humane space. At a personal level, there
was such a strong connection, I felt extremely alive and inspired. In
fact, one of my biggest dreams is to hold an open space with Armenian
and Turkish people together some day...so people can experience what I
experienced: going beyond their fears, threats and stereotypes by simple
being together in healthy dialogue with open minds and hearts.
Remembering our centuries old close connections and just replacing the
aggression and the ignorance with that connection. Political system
managed to keep our people separate for a long time but I believe the
civil society can awaken us, especially Turkish society to this
sensitive issue.

I just wanted to say that I am moved by your call and I will hold inner
and outer space on April 24th, I will also share this with my dear
Armenian friends and colleagues.

Thank you once again. Maybe we can host an open space together for
Turkish and Armenian people some day. :-)

filiz

every day is a good day