inner aggression and the OST facilitator

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Apr 20 00:07:07 PDT 2005

Hello, dear Raffi -

Thank you for sharing your innermost with us.  It is a bit like walking
out into the center of the circle in an Open Space event to post a
thorny topic that you feel passion around but don't know what will
happen when you post it to the group.  It takes courage and surrender,
no?

And yet you trusted in yourself and had faith in the unknown and in us
to listen and be present for your questions.  Thank you for that.

You said:
When I am reminded that OST meetings is about the group and not about
me, I feel very humbled and sad. I am not sure how exactly to really
"be" for the group.
-and-
What are ongoing practices to sort my needs from the group's? What keeps
you present as a facilitator during OST?

Can you explain a bit more about what makes you sad?  I can only
interpret what would make you sad here (not knowing how to be fore the
group? Not knowing how to sort your needs from the group's? Not feeling
present??), and I would like more of your thoughts so I know more what
you are saying.

I think it's fully human and right to have all kinds of responses and
emotions inside of you, and even some that poke out of you.  So I would
never want you to deny those feelings.  My experience is that to serve a
group, I can be fully human and have all sorts of thoughts and feelings
inside but I do best by breathing through them and getting out of my
head and back into the present.  Because usually those feelings feel
like 'now' but actually take me out of 'the now'.  And the work is about
them, not about me.

So how to work on whatever it is I am feeling?  If I'm so involved in
the issue that I want to participate I have someone else facilitate.
And if I have too much going on inside me I don't feel clean and clear
as a space holder for their work.  I do not, in Open Space, say anything
about their issue in the middle of the process, although in Opening and
Closing sometimes there is a fire or a challenge that I acknowledge they
feel and that now is the time to be part of the change.

I also make sure I eat and sleep and rest before any facilitation work,
so I am truly fully present.

What are some ways I work on my own 'stuff'?  In the past I have gone to
see a counselor, to sort out the toughest things in my life (times of
extreme grief or relationship issues).  I know that is a luxury of
access and not available to everyone.  But I have also asked friends to
spend some time with me to hear me out, take me on a walk 'for an
airing' (even during an Open Space if necessary when the energy was too
'thick' in the room), gone for walks, gone away to be quiet.  I've done
art.  I've gardened.  I've gotten bodywork (acupuncture or
chiropractic).  I've soaked in hot baths or gone away to a hot springs
for a few days.  I've written.  I've let myself find peace in not
knowing, in not finding answers, and I've forgiven myself for being so
hard on myself. I've shared my thoughts and struggles with other
facilitators.  It all depends on the situation.

You also said:
Sometimes I worry I am too open here on this list (and in life?). The
energy of 1-2 of the responses led me to think that perhaps my questions
are beginning to dance a little bit too close to the edge of what people
on the listserv feel comfortable talking about.

Raffi, I welcome your openness on this list and elsewhere, always
knowing that you must use your intuition to sense if it will work for
you and be safe for you.  But if you never shared this with us, how
would we know to love you up and support you around it?  How would we
have had this marvelous opportunity to sort and think and wonder along
with you?

And just as in Open Space, we don't have to come to the conversation
unless we want to.  Messages have titles.  We have delete buttons.
People who care will come to 'your session'.  Those who wonder and care
and wrestle with these things will witness and share and breathe with
you.

I feel honored that you would share these things with us. You're
#@*$(&@#ing  marvelous for doing so.

Warmly,

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t