What Have we Learned (update)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 11:53:12 PDT 2005

Well not only am I back, but I think I have caught up on the Great learning
taking place here. I have harvested the most recent additions and placed
them on www.openspaceworld.com/os%20learning.htm so if you want to check out
the growing tale, you can do that. And if, perchance, I have missed some
contribution, please let me know soonest.

Since threads have a way of disappearing in this wonderful forest of ideas,
which is OSLIST, I will take this opportunity to repost my original
invitation with updates. Just in case anybody wonders what it is all about!

Harrison

The Invitation

In 1985 the first Open Space happened in Monterey California. This year (in
case you haven't noticed) is 2005. In short OS has been around for 20 years
(not counting the 14,000,000,000 years previously). So what have we learned?

My hope would be to inspire/goad/embarrass/encourage each one of you to
reflect on the past 20 years (or at least that part of the 20 years in which
you participated in the OS community) - and offer up your understanding of
what you, personally, have learned - about Open Space, yourself in Open
Space, about organizations in Open Space.

Although it is doubtless Politically Incorrect - I suggest a rule for our
discussion. Pretend this is a closing circle, and we are passing the Talking
Stick. Take a moment, maybe even a LONG moment (days/weeks) to reflect on
what you have learned, and then talk as long as you want. And not just the
"good stuff" - the pain and disillusionment as well, if that is your story.
You have the stick! And please NO COMENTARY! I suggest that we just let this
roll without response - just like a Closing Circle.

There is no rush to completion, and I believe you will find that creating a
considered response will be a rich and rewarding opportunity. As they say -
"We've come a long way, Baby," and remembering just how far and how deeply
we have traveled will be a rich moment indeed. For newcomers and old hands
alike, observations on our personal experience can only enhance our
collective wisdom, I believe. For my part I have opened a space on
openspaceworld.com as the temporary archive for our thoughts. You can check
it out by clicking on http://www.openspaceworld.com/os%20learning.htm

I look forward to whatever comes next as a birthday present from each of us
to all of us, after 20 years.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: