access...to space

Masud Sheikh masheikh at COGECO.CA
Wed Apr 13 13:53:13 PDT 2005

john engle <englejohn at hotmail.com> wrote:

>or maybe those who couldn't come were:
[Spaces]
>and while many among these seven categories might overlap, i'm sure that
>others on this list could come up with other categories of people who
>don't have the luxury of "caring" for anything beyond survival in the
>moment.

I am re-reading a favourite book of mine, Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search
for Meaning". Talking about the time he is liberated from concentration
camp, he writes:

One day, a few days after liberation, I walked through the country past
flowering meadows for miles and miles......I stopped, looked around, and
up to the sky - and then I went down on my knees. At that moment there was
very little I knew of myself or of the world - I had one sentence in my
mind - always the same: "I called to the Lord from my narrow prison and He
answered me in the freedom of space".

Yes, indeed John, there always are lots of people in the world who may be
highly caring, as Frankl most definitely was, but do not have the space to
care beyond surviving.
Masud