Form, Function, and Reality

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 07:42:44 PDT 2004

I don't know anything about architecture, and I'm certainly not sure I know
what makes open space work so well.

But I have thought for a long time that in designing meetings we
(facilitators) have sought a "form" (meeting technique) that most closely
fits the way people operate ("function") in our most natural or organic
mode.

Of all the techniques I¹ve tried, open space seems among the most real to
me.  You get as much theory and partially-cooked social science stuff as you
possibly can out of the way and let people do what they will do.  Spirit
emerges and seems to take over.  I believe this is what the universe has
been intending ever since the big bang.

Ralph

--
Ralph Copleman
The Earth Center in the Delaware Watershed, Inc.