"Planned happenstance. . ."

Uwe Weissflog Uwe.Weissflog at t-online.de
Mon Nov 29 08:03:00 PST 2004

Harrison wrote: "Many take open space, and the experience of
open Space, as a strange new reality. I guess my experience is diametrically
the opposite. Everything is Open Space, but that fact is obscured by a whole
mess of exogenous lay-ons. All the plans."

My experience is that often we use the word "plans" but actually we mean "structure". I agree with Harrison, Open Space (even in the technology environments where I most often have the pleasure to facilitate it) is spontaneous and unfiltered present moment. But this does, in my experience, only happen because the structure of Open Space allows (enables) present moment to emerge. I always see it as the bed of a river; the way the water flows is not based on any intentional plans but depends on the structure of its "environment". And in Open Space that what we have - clear, simple and strict structure. What a blessing!

Uwe Weissflog
--
Pathway Guidance - Europe
www.pathwayguidance.biz

Join us again in Estonia!

The Estonian Business School / Executive Training Centre and Pathway Guidance annouce their second European Business Retreat in Estonia from May 26 - 28, 2005. mark the date. Details will be available shortly on our web-pages.