SV: School Work

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Tue Nov 23 06:07:23 PST 2004

Hi HO, Alan, Jeff and all
I?m in the middle of "meta-facilitating" my first OS-online event with a
customer - multinational corporation! They seem to have a real good time and
I also think they are having some important conversations. Pre-and follow-up
meetings facilitated IRL (in real life).

Regarding givens
I agree, Alan. Your example of different schools with the same label
highlight the importance of HOW! Often we are fast to categorize things from
our experiences, that happens to "Open Space" as well as a lot of other
phenomonons.
I agree too, Jeff, for me givens are not about to limit talking it?s about
having space to do something afterwards.

HO, I agree too. It would be stupid not to open the space up for the parents
to contribute in improving the pedagogy. The school and the teachers will
probably not disagree but love the opportunity to have more discussions
about the pedagogy - in a "structured" way, maybe it won?t even occur since
most are quite happy with how it works. And I guess it?s pretty clear to the
parents that a few of them could not decide on something like this by
themselves. We have another meeting coming up and I?m sure this given will
fade away.

What do you think about the economic viability of activities that will start
from this? As always resources are scarce, but on the other hand everything
is possible (last time a school was built!). Do you think it?s good to
safeguard by pointing out that the resources are scarce - yes, I know
everyone knows - but maybe it could make a bit more clear the economic
reality that we are facing (nothing extraordinary but anyhow). For example
finding sponsors can be one way and other ways may have to be invented. The
idea is not to give false ideas of resources we do not have.

Maybe the one given that will remain is that all activities that are to be
supported by the school/board are to be in alignment with the values that
have been worked out for this school. We do not want to have any officially
supported groups that are not OK for what we "stand for".

Well, I guess I?d better go back to meta-facilitation - not very hard to be
invisable in online-OS but the sponsor wanted me present, just in case...

Thanks all for contributing in this givens-conversation. It is really not
easy, but I think it is important and I agree less is more - as long as the
space is really open. And I think the top-management defines the space to be
opened, although I agree they can?t control it... well I?d better use my
feet...
Thomas