School Work

Alan Klein alan at klein.net
Mon Nov 22 14:31:28 PST 2004

Unfortunately, in my experience, the Montessori system varies widely in
terms of how "open spacy" it is. I have seen many (perhaps a majority) quite
rigid structures in which the materials seem to take precedence over the
kids. ("There is one right way to use this material.") We found a Montessori
school for our daughter and she had a great five-year-old year with a
teacher who really encouraged the kids to explore the materials as they saw
fit. The next two years were quite spotty, as the teachers were much more
fixed in their ways. I have observed many Montessori programs in several
states over the past 30 years and have probably seen more such
misinterpretations (as I see it) of Maria Montessori's vision than proper
interpretations.

~Alan Klein