OS and SFBT

Erich Kolenaty e.kolenaty at transformation.at
Mon Nov 22 03:13:35 PST 2004

David,

I once attended at a workshop directed by Steve de Shazer, who seems to be
one of the founders of SBFT. Like Artur says, he is working in the tradition
of the palo alto scool of communication sciences. This approach fits in many
ways to the social constructivistic consulting and to appreciative inquiry.
I don't think that there are a lot of common foundations with Open Space,
but someways it breathes the same atmosphere

Steve de Shazer wrote books, I got two older ones "Clues, Investigating
Solutions in Brief Therapy"  and "Putting Difference To Work". And a friend
of mine told me that there is a worldwide community of SBFT-folks. Just turn
googles on....

Erich

  What struck me was the parallels with a counselling strategy called
  solutions focussed brief therapy (sfbt). It is one of the
  "constructivist therapies" future directed instead of past directed. The
  notion is that you do not have to analyse a problem in detail to solve
  it -- indeed doing so often reinforces the problem. Instead you get on
  with envisioning possible futures where the problem doesn't exist.

  Is anyone familiar with the SFBT and whether there are tie ins?
  Interconnections? Theoretical common ground. Common practitioners?

  --
  David William McKay

  My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either
have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever;
I recommend pleasant.

  -- Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the film Harvey (1950)