OS and SFBT

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 06:31:19 PST 2004

--- david mckay <dwmckay at sympatico.ca> wrote:

(...)

> What struck me was the parallels with a counselling
> strategy called
> solutions focussed brief therapy (sfbt). It is one
> of the
> "constructivist therapies" future directed instead
> of past directed. The
> notion is that you do not have to analyse a problem
> in detail to solve
> it -- indeed doing so often reinforces the problem.
> Instead you get on
> with envisioning possible futures where the problem
> doesn't exist.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the SFBT and whether there
> are tie ins?
> Interconnections? Theoretical common ground. Common
> practitioners?

Interesting comment, David.

I red almost everything from Watzlawick (from the Palo
Alto School) and specially the book " Change – On
Problem Formation and Transformation" gave me some
ideas on SFBT that I have used in my organizational
practice.

Contrarilly to many IS and Org Change methods (and
also to some methods that are often considered
"similar" to OST), I have decided that to make a
carefull review of the past (and givens) is
counterprodutive, because, as you mentioned, it often
reinforces the problems. Insted I concentrate in the
(open) future.

That is, btw, the basic, and often forgotten, concept
of business process reeengineering - redesign the
process/company as if you were inventing it now.

I don't care too much (at least in the beginning)about
the "How It Was" or about the "As Is" but mainly about
the "To Be".

Artur

http://my.yahoo.com