Finding a friendlier reception

Susan Smyth Smythmanagement at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 06:07:08 PST 2004

Hi all-

I've used Open space for serveal years now in both small and large groups, in
open forums and inside corportate America.  I used Open Space this past week
with @ 50 people who are new or oldmembers of a small city's business council.
 The group had been resting on its laurels for several years and several
surrounding small cites had made great strides in business gorwth.  The Council's
paid staff was afraid the session would be a complaint session.

Here is what I found.  Despite being accutomed to much more traditional
business planning sesssion, these bankers and city planners and small business
owners were attentitive, cooperative and fully engaged in the process. Almost no
energy was spent griping about the past.  18 topics were proposed and each
submitted reports we were able to copy and distribute before people left the
room.

My take-away is that the world has shifted and is readier for the Open Space
approach.

Susan Smyth
Director of Consulting Services
METS Metropolitan Education and Training Services
3861 Olympic Blvd.
Erlanger, KY 41018
859-647-8983

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood ~ Ralph
Waldo Emerson