OS and SFBT

david mckay dwmckay at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 21 04:36:12 PST 2004

I attended a trainers event here in Oshawa last week. The presenters
gave us a demo/intro to open space for non-open-spacers and that was a
part of my impetus for joining this list.

What struck me was the parallels with a counselling strategy called
solutions focussed brief therapy (sfbt). It is one of the
"constructivist therapies" future directed instead of past directed. The
notion is that you do not have to analyse a problem in detail to solve
it -- indeed doing so often reinforces the problem. Instead you get on
with envisioning possible futures where the problem doesn't exist.

Is anyone familiar with the SFBT and whether there are tie ins?
Interconnections? Theoretical common ground. Common practitioners?

--
David William McKay

My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.

-- Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the film Harvey (1950)