Butterfly effect

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Mon Mar 22 13:30:46 PST 2004

Dear Doug,
when I introduce bumblebees and butterflies I make a point about
bumble bees being participants following the law of two feet.
Butterflies, on the other hand, are participants that sort of dont
really go anywhere, hang out near the coffeepot, seemingly not
involved in anything. Systemically speaking, they are "centers of
inactivity", foci of nothingness where nothing is supposed to happen.
And thats their gift in open space: because nothing is supposed to
happen where they are there is an awful lot of space for things to
actually happen.
And that often is exactly what happens.
I encourage participants to spot butterflies and when they see one to
shimmy up and use that vast space...als cautioning them about severe
consequences of getting in touch with butterflies, such as lifelong
connections...
Your point about a "scientific notion that small changes..etc" is an
entirely different matter, of course, a chaos theory way of looking
at cause and effect.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:44:16 -0500, Douglas D. Germann, Sr. wrote:

>Hi--
>
>For some reason the postings on OSlist this morning
>triggered the idea of "the Butterfly Effect."
>
>This is the scientific notion that small changes in initial
>conditions in say weather, can make huge changes in outcomes.
>Thus it is said that a butterfly flapping its wings in China
>today can cause a tornado in Kansas in two months.
>
>Has anyone given any thought to the convergences and
>divergences of the Butterfly Effect and the effects of
>"butterflies" in our Open Spaces?
>
>It has always been difficult for me to understand the role
>of butterflies in OST, and perhaps this might actually give
>us another handle on the subject....
>
>                              :-Doug. Germann
>
>Ordinary people talk, extraordinary people happen.
>It's not what you expected, is it?
>(Footprint in the Wind/sm # 461)
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.