Search Keywords

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Mar 18 14:57:00 PST 2004

thanks, kerry, for reminding me how and why this was suggested.

now that the thing is open, and i haven't actually even tested it, i
think the easiest way to "open" the archives would be to test some
keywords.  it would be much easier than actually cutting and pasting
information from the archives into a wiki.  what we could do instead is
make a single wiki page at .ORG for posting "juicy" key words.  these
could be posted as links that would go to the archives and search for
the word.

so education, youth, government, church, letting go, spirit, might be
suggested as interesting and fruitful searches.  the job becomes one of
refining and documenting the interesting searches, rather than cutting
and copying.  it's a different but not uninteresting way of inviting
exploration of the archives.

i can make sure there is a prominent page for this on the site... maybe
even list OSLIST with other languages on the main splash page to .ORG...
but i don't have enough pass/resp to experiment with the searches.  i
will make an OSLIST page, link it in prominently, test the search
process and post a single link to test the link-search-ability of what
i've proposed.

when i've been able to do this, i will post back here on teh list and
invite you and others to come build out that page.

does this work okay?  do you think it gets us to where you thought we
could go?  and is this satisfying some of the things you'd raised about
mining the archives some years ago, harrison?

michael

kerry napuk wrote:

> Dear Michael
>
> I suggested the possibility of creating accessible archives for
> specific applications of Open Space, starting with education, which
> grew into a wiki wiki initiative based on your work on interactive
> sites.  We now have an embryo* archive for education* which can be
> visited by going to the following:
>
> http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceinEducation
>
> Following this thinking, could we access archives on other
> applications, such as healthcare, communities, voluntary
> organizations/charities, government (central and local), politics &
> democracy etc?  What other subject areas would people suggest?  More
> importantly,_ would people post their stories to designated sites?_
>
> The purpose of organizing around applications was twofold: it promotes
> process credibility by allowing potential sponsors to see what others
> have done and practitioners to learn from experiences of other
> facilitators.  Moreover, the interactivity of the wiki wiki allows
> "dead" material to be brought back to life.
>
> This could be a very exciting innovation for our Open Space World and
> particularly people using the OSLIST.  As much of the OSLIST material
> is very fleeting, it is reassuring to know that the archives would
> remain available.
>
> I also feel this opportunity is very compatible with Harrison's
> philosophy and shared by many others about giving the process to the
> World.  If the process is available to everyone and truly "open", we
> should feel comfortable enriching it with our experiences.
>
> Thank you, Michael, for taking steps to bring the archives alive.
> NOW, how do we access them?  How about a simple step-by-step procedure
> to tap into this rich resource?
>
> Cheers
>
> Kerry
> Open Futures