Searchable OSLIST - Need Some Keywords

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Mar 17 19:09:01 PST 2004

Hmmm... I appreciate, Birgitt, that you do not like the old postings
being shared "beyond this list community."  You raise some important
questions, about openess, understanding, sharing, heart, list and
community.

The archives as they have been are 100% publicly accessible.  Anyone can
search them without ever saying hello here in a message.  They can read
everything and anything in the archives without ever reading the FAQs or
other context for what they are reading.  That's how it's been for years
now.

This new shift, which the OSI group discussed, which I took
responsibility for investigating, and which the Boise State folks
implemented directly, somewhat faster and more enthusiastically than I'd
expected (otherwise known as "surprise!"), is not really much different
from what it had been.  Still I understand that this revisits old bad
feelings about not knowing what you were posting into in previous
years.  Sorry be stirring those up now.

As it now stands, the current state does allow much easier access for
those who would like to learn about OST.  Going back to replace the old
requirement of subscribing doesn't seem likely to raise the level of
community on the list.  And, there is no way to know about or change the
diffusion of what has years ago been made public.  I don't know if there
is any sort of search-and-destroy function that could eliminate your
postings, but I do know that we would lose an awful lot of learning if
we did that and I'm sure there's no way to scrub all our quotings of
your messages in our responses.

The subscribing/unsubscribing that has been required is a totally
anonymous and largely technical process that I'd guess is probably a
poor test of anyone's appetite, aptitude or appreciation for the spirit
of community here.  So willingness to pass the subscription test
(different from the 'hello' or really listening test) probably doesn't
provide any of us, or  all of us, much protection of any kind.  The old
restriction seems a paper tiger that probably scares people off for all
the wrong reasons.

So, given that these things have already been sent around the world and
publicly and anonymously accessed for many years now, AND as you seem to
have some passion for the list, dear Birgitt, I'm wondering if there is
some language of welcoming, description, and understanding that could be
added by way of introduction to what is written here.

Will you write some language that we can post on the website that
describes the depth of heart and community and learning and spirit that
goes on here on the list.  Can you share your sense of this community in
the invitation, so that we can continue to open and open and open?

If you can get this started, then we can polish it up together, in
community here on the list, and I will be glad to post it on teh site as
invitation to the OSLIST and its archives.

Thanks for bringing this, Michael