Capturing butterflies...

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 08:59:59 PDT 2004

Doug:

I was only making a joke about "not capturing
real-life butterflies"... But  my attempts to make
jokes in English are not very funny... Now more
seriously:

--- "Douglas D. Germann, Sr."
<76066.515 at compuserve.com> wrote:
> Paul and Artur--
>
>  These lines suggested to me our butterfly friends
in
> open space. They look
> lovely. They don't seem to be doing anything. Their
> numbers and presence
> indicate the health of the setting.
>
> But they are also sometimes the most productive part
> of the event, we hear.
> Maybe it is only when we spend time with them, hear
> their ideas, listen to
> what they are listening to, hear why they are not in
> a particular session,
> and do similar non-things, that we start to find and
> nurture the real value
> of the meeting.
>
> It might not be capturing, Artur, but it might be
> alighting on the same
> branch as they... or flying along with them as they
> fly by... before they
> are gone forever....

I think there is may be a risk with the strategy you
suggest.

Butterflies don't mind to see another butterfly in the
same branch and then they will begin to talk about
"butterfly things". But, if the theme is important,
sooner or later they will begin to talk about it, will
conclude something and often will even write a report
- there is no need for the facilitator to do anything
about it as this results from the OST design.

But I suspect that if a "facilitator" will try to
aproach buterflies asking them "what are you
butterflying about?" I am affraid that he/she will not
capture the "butterfly spirit" - he/she will only make
the butterflies fly away and leave the building,
taking the "butterfly spirit" with them...

My two Euro-cents

Artur

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail