a question

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 21:00:08 PDT 2004

Raffi--

People do and will present lectures and trainings in Open Space, and some of
these sessions will be effective.   If this is the intention, might be good to
say so.   But I suspect that the elaborate boundary-setting that you
suggested might rub people against the grain a bit, once they have been introduced to
the principles of OST.

I've been on both sides of this one as a participant.   I've offered a
workshop that has been effective in other settings, and found it did not work out as
well in Open Space.   I've convened sessions where I asked an honest question
and had magnificent conversations.   I find I like that better; other people
are more interesting when they have space to expand, explore, open to others,
dance with ideas.   I've been in sessions convened by others which took me to
places I could never have arrived at on my own.

I don't think there is any one right answer for all situations.   I'm just
discovering what it fun, and productive, for me.

Joelle