A question - Everything possible?

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Fri Jul 9 10:30:13 PDT 2004

Dear Reinhard,
assuming that the "experienced OS facilitator" was a participant I
think it is perfectly all right for her either as convener of the
group on "How can...." or as participant in that group to suggest a
process for dealing with her issue. Some people might like that
process others might have a different idea....thats something that
group then has to deal with. In open space there is no suspension of
conflict, wish to manipulate, power plays, democracy, etc....its a
grand place for the forces of selforganisation to unfold and to deal
with those aspects usually in an unusually peaceful mode.
I have often observed that conveners not only state the issue (which
usually goes onto the poster and then onto the bulletin board) but
say a couple of things on how they plan to deal with the issue:
-I have this question and I have no idea on how to approach it
-This is an issue I have been concerned about for a long time and I
plan to give a 10 minute introduction in the group before we discuss
it
-I have dealt with this isssue in different ways, this time I would
like to use an interview approach
-I have a concrete case that I want to present and get some
consultation from the group
-I would like to invite you all for a walk in the park and have the
discussion during our walk
-etc.
In fact, I encourage participants in my introduction to use the
breakout sessions for different things, modes, techniques...give the
lecture I never had the chance to deliver, draw cartoons, have a
silent discussion, try out a new method, offer a training session,
have a massage workshop....this is not so much under the heading of
"Everything is possible" but what participants have passions for.

Hope you are doing well and relish situations of astonishment and
confusion, they are pretty good ingredients for a climate in which
new questions flourish.

mmp

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:31:18 +0200, Visuelle Protokolle wrote:

>Dear Openspacers,
>
>Yesterday I took part in an OS and am not clear about an observation I
>made. So I want to ask you for your view.
>
>An experienced OS facilitator offered a session "How can internal HR
>people and external consultants win the management for innovative
>ideas?". At the beginning she explained, that she wanted the group to
>split and everybody to go into formalized interviews, then summarize and
>cluster the results in prepared forms, and come to conclusions. Some
>participants got angry and stopped the procedure, because of their
>understanding of OS as an open process also inside of each group.
>
>Afterwards somebody told me: in OS everything is possible, and the
>participants can vote with their feet, if they disagree. Now  I must
>tell you that I am astonished and confused.
>
>So I want to ask you : is it in your sense if for example somebody
>offers trainings, lectures and other structured processes in an OS,
>under the headline "Everything is possible"?
>
>Mit freundlichen Gruessen
>Best regards
>
>Reinhard
>
>VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
>Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel
>
>Munich Germany
>
>Tel: +49-89-202 447 48
>
>www.visuelle-protokolle.de
>
>*
>*
>
>To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
>http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464

Informationen zu open space und future search:
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

123 Berliner open space-Veranstaltungen von 12 BegleiterInnen in 16 verschiedenen Bereichen:
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.